Thursday, May 17, 2012

Cardinals and The Island on Bird Street

I got up this morning after my cats insisted that I get up. I had no plans to get up early, since I didn't really have much planned today. The cats seem to jump on top of me whenever they are particularly insistent that I wake up. And all three of them wanted me to get out of bed early this morning. So I got up and filled their food bowl. After I fed them I sat down and looked out the window. And there was the most beautiful cardinal I have ever seen sitting on in the bush. He was a brilliant red. It was a real treat to see.

So here is a little tidbit for the day.

Did you know that cardinals are extremely territorial. In fact they are so territorial they will attempt to fight their own reflection in water because they believe that their reflection is intruding on their own territory.

Who would have known huh?

Then this evening I watched a video on netflix. The Island on Bird Street was the video I chose. If you haven't seen the movie I recommend it. It is a children's movie so it is appropriate for the entire family. It is loosely based on events of the author, Uri Orlev. The movie was based on the book by the same name.

The main character is Alex. A young boy who lives in a ghetto during the Nazi occupation of Poland. During the selections that occurred in the ghetto, Alex is separated from his father and uncle. Before he is separated from his family, his father promises to return for him. Alex hides in the deserted ghetto. Through the use of his imagination and alot of luck Alex is able to survive.

Because of the subject matter there is some violence, but it is not explicit. And it does remain true to the subject matter.

You can watch the movie trailer below.





I think one of the things that I liked about the movie was that the movie does not portray everyone as good or evil. Alex receives help from Poles. And when a German soldier finds him he does not shoot Alex. There is also an incident where other survivors in the ghetto refuse to assist Alex.

It left me with the feeling that things are never what they seem. Good people do good things, but sometimes it just isn't enough. Bad people can make the right decisions. Which means the bad things they are doing are a choice. They do have control over it. And sometimes people who would never think of not assisting someone in need feel like they must survive instead of assisting the person in need.

With the recent release of movies about the holocaust I believe that this movie was overlooked by audiences. It is far better than the movie Jakob the Liar which has a similar subject matter. In fact in some ways it is similar to the movie The Pianist. The only difference is the target audience is children instead of adults and the story is adjusted to the audience.



No comments:

Post a Comment