Saturday, February 2, 2013

Ukeleke Day?


Today is the day so many people around the world have waited for. It’s National Ukelele Day. So here are some lesser known facts about this wonderful little stringed instrument.

While most of us think of Hawaii when we hear a ukelele, it actually has its origins in Portugal.
They only have four strings. It makes for easy playing.

 It means “jumping flea” in Hawaiian because the fingers can jump so fast when they play it.

George Harrison was a big ukelele fan, and he gave them away to his friends.

There are four different sizes: soprano, concert, tenor, and baritone.

So now you can share all of this knowledge with the rest of the world.
Cover of If I Had a Million Dollars by the Bare Naked Ladies
by Mary-Anne and Russell
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Great facts, really interesting! Thanks for the comment on my blog- followed.
    Katie xx
    http://thegravityandshe.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriends sister plays that instrument x

    check out my cath kidston giveaway 1stepclosereveryday.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog.

    It would be great if we could follow each other :)

    hope you enter my giveaway on my blog <3
    Blog Here

    Dont forget to follow my blog

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete