Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Winston Churchill Day


Dear Winston:

I just thought I would drop you a line, and congratulate you on becoming an honorary American citizen. I realize that this was given to you many years ago, but I did feel a need to congratulate you anyway. You know it’s better late than never. It makes me sad that they made you an honorary citizen after your death. It seems like something you would have appreciated more when you were alive. And I suppose you would have been pretty happy to learn that they declared April 9th as Winston Churchill Day.

Winston, I have to tell you that I believe that I know how you felt when you repeatedly warned your nation about the serious threat that Adolph Hitler posed. And nobody listened to you. Just the other day a friend of mine told me how she was going to handle a situation, and I said are you sure that’s going to work. She wasn’t happy with that statement, and she got a little huffy. And then to add insult to injury she called and asked me why I let her handle the problem that way. I imagine you had similar feelings when after warning your nation they contacted you to handle that problem called Hitler.

I do have to admit that I was a little surprised by your attitude toward Mr. Ghandi.  Did you really favor letting Mr. Ghandi die while he was on a hunger strike? While I understand that he was probably a little difficult for you to understand, but really? Let the man starve to death because he was trying to make a political statement? That does seem a little extreme doesn’t it?  But in some ways I do believe that you did understand Mr. Ghandi. I mean he was willing to go to the extreme to get his point across, and I believe you were like that too. After all a statement like “We shall never surrender” is pretty extreme, especially with all the problems you were facing with that war at that point in time. I’m sure it would have been much easier to say here you go, take this island, but you would have none of that.

I do wonder what you would have thought about that British poll in 2002 that named you the greatest Briton of all time. I wonder if you thought what took them so long to say this, or did you wonder if they would have thought you were so great if you hadn’t won that war?

Well, I do believe that I have taken up enough of your time, but I do want to congratulate you again on your Honorary Citizenship. And let you know that the world probably would be a little different if you hadn’t been around.

Sincerely,


Heidi                                               

Music to blog by Just the Way You Are by Chantilly
 

5 comments:

  1. Good Morning Heidi!
    Thanks for sharing at Tuesdays with a Twist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I am your latest GFC follower from peacoat and plaids blog hop!

    Please return the favour if you have the time :)

    http://www.curvyguruceri.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. He was an interesting man with many great ideas. I read my first Churchill book when I was in middle school, and my latest one about a year ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a big history buff, but my history-loving sister absolutely adored this post!

    ReplyDelete