Thursday, June 13, 2013

Ivan Mihaljevic & Side Effects

I was on soundcloud, and somehow I came across this band called Ivan Mihaljevic and Side Effects.  The song I was listening to was Eclipse.  The intro really caught my attention. It had bells and violins playing, and I thought to myself this is pretty.  Then the guitar work came in, and yes it rocks. Ivan can play his guitar! Then I listened to the lyrics. The song is about depression. He describes how when you feel depressed you know that you need to get out of the depression, but you don’t really know how to do it. And then you try to talk to people about how you’re feeling, and they just tell you not to think about those things. So you just don’t talk to people about how you’re feeling. It’s something a lot of people have experienced. You can listen to Eclipse in the video below.



So as I was listening to more of the music off their release Counterclockwise, I began to look up some info on the band. And I found out Ivan’s been around for a while. When he belonged to the band Hard Time he opened up for acts including The Scorpions, and The Cult. And I thought to myself why haven’t I heard of this guy before? I am a metal fan after all. Is it because they are from Croatia? Who knows why huh?


But as I was reading I found out that the other members of Side Effects have some great credentials too. The drummer Alen Frljak teaches drums at the Modern Rock Institute, and he’s opened for acts like Lamb of God. And the bass player, Marko Karacic has played with other popular Croatian bands. They are all seasoned and talented musicians.  The three of them have put together some new music that leaves listeners wanting to hear more.  You can check out more of their music on their Soundcloud page.

No comments:

Post a Comment