Thursday, August 15, 2013

Whatcha Been Watchin?

It’s time to take a look at some of my favorite movies I’ve been watching recently.

Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax-This is the animated movie based on the book The Lorax by Dr. Seuss. If you haven’t read the book you should. And if you need a fun family friendly movie this is the one for you. The movie is about the environment, and how we often overlook how the world will end up if we don’t value what we already have in life. The thing that really struck me is that Dr. Seuss wrote the book in the 1970’s, and we still have the same issues today.






When Do We Eat? This is the funniest movie I’ve seen in a while. A family gets together to celebrate Passover. The father is suffering from indigestion, and his son slips him extasy laced with acid. Dad goes on a wild trip, and tells his family members exactly how he feels about each of them. This movie isn’t really appropriate for kids, but if you have an off-beat sense of humor you will love this movie. There are scenes where the dad is hallucinating. And you see how important it is for family members to tell each other they care about one another.






The Baader Meinhoff Complex-This is a German film that is set in the 1970’s. It focuses on The Red Army Faction that was based in Germany during the ‘70’s. I think that most of us forget that Germany was a hotbed for terrorism in the 1970’s. The movie shows how individuals become involved in terrorist groups and how they are persuaded to commit terrorist acts. We always wonder what makes people commit awful acts, this movie shows how some individuals become involved in these activities. Since it’s a foreign movie, you will have to read subtitles if you’re not fluent in German.




5 comments:

  1. I just did a complete (re)watch of Star Trek Deep Space 9. Started Orange is the New Black. And watched Harlan County USA (which will be reviewed in a few months on my podcast ARTHOUSE LEGENDS-available on itunes. This last part has been a plug. BWHAHAHAHAHA! anyway. That's what I've watched most recently)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind comments on my veggie dumplings post!
    The Lorax is a great movie; I really like it too. It really gets the message about the importance of conservation across. I haven't watched the other two but they sound interesting- I'll have to look into them now!
    - thinkgreenlovepurple
    http://thinkgreenlovepurple.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just watched the Lorax for the first time not too long ago. That second movie sounds like something I would watch and giggle at along with hubby. Right now Despicable Me has been on replay due to my toddler. She watches it over and over again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Lorax and so does our soon to be 3 year old daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Adding When Do We Eat to my watch list. Pieces of April might be one you like, since you like that one.

    I enjoyed The Lorax. It's always interesting to me that such a long movie can be made of such a short story.

    ReplyDelete