Sunday, October 13, 2013

Columbus Day

Dear Leif Erikson:

 While I was growing up in Minnesota, the local park had a replica of a Viking Long Ship. The ship always fascinated me. I always wondered what a voyage across the ocean to North America was like. Did you and your fellow Vikings actually know that you were going to be the first Europeans to reach North America? Followed by another question how, did any of the adventurers in your party experience sea sickness? I would imagine some of those days on the water could be pretty rough. And was the guy who got sea sick made fun of? I mean you Vikings are known for being a pretty tough group so I would imagine anybody who couldn’t handle a little rough water got to hear about it.


Then one day I read how your ships were equipped with oars. And I wondered is there a Nordic version of Row, Row, Row Your Boat, and did you guys sing this song as you rowed across sections of the ocean? Or did you all have some other means of motivating yourself as you rowed your boat?

But most of all I wonder what do you think of Christopher Columbus? I mean he kind of stole your thunder. For such a long time he was given credit for discovering the New World, which has been proven wrong. And then he ends up with a National Holiday. I mean the government, and the banks shut down for him. So does that make you feel a little slighted or are you happy for him? I hope you are happy for him, but it has to hurt a little.

So I hope you have a great Columbus Day Leif!

5 comments:

  1. I loved this post! You were so creative and out of the box with it. So thrilled to have found your blog through the social collective blog hop and excited to be your newest GFC follower!

    Much love and many blessings to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi! Too funny...but so true!! Thanks for stopping by my blog...following you via Bloglovin' and GFC. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Viking long ships are fascinating I would love to see one up close..........I am sure if a viking was to met Christopher Columbus in a dark ally there would be a punch up.....

    ReplyDelete