Monday, October 7, 2013

Grape Leaves Stuffed With Rice, Dill and Walnuts

When I went to Greekfest earlier this summer I had some really wonderful stuffed grape leaves. So here is a version of stuffed grape leaves that is kind of fitting for fall.


What you’ll need
1 16 ounce jar grape leaves
8 cups of water 1 pound brown rice
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup olive oil
1 ½ pounds chopped onion
1 cup chopped parsley
4 garlic cloves minced
¾ cup finely chopped walnuts
¾ cups chopped dill
1 teaspoon ground pepper
2 cups crumbled fet cheese
½ cup fresh lemon juice
Place grape leaves in a large bowl. Cover with water. Let soak while preparing rice filling.
Cook rice until it is tender and set aside.
Heat ½ cup oil in a pot. Add onions and sauté for 15 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
Remove from heat and stir in parsley, walnuts, dill, pepper and 1 tsp salt. Then add feta and the rice. Allow this to cool.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place a grape leaf with the vein side up and make sure the stem is cut off. Patch with piece of other leave to form a 6 inch surface area. Spoon in ¼ cup rice filling in center of leaf. Fold bottom of leaf over filling . Fold in sides. Roll up to enclose filling in leaf. Arrange seam side down on baking sheet. Arrange these on a glass baking dish.

Now mix 4 cups water ½ cup oil and lemon juice in a medium bowl to blend. Pour it over the stuffed grape leaves. Cover with foil. And bake until the lemon oil mixture is absorbed. About 1 hour. 

4 comments:

  1. Yummy!!! I love stuffed grape leaves. This sounds so good. How fun! I love Greekfest and i look forward to the fmaling cheese. Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love stuffed grape leaves, never tried making my own though. These sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great recipe I can't wait to try out. I love Stuffed Grape Leaves and those adventurous enough to try them! I wish more would.

    I came up with my own version of a Stuffed Grape Leaves, inline with an Arab style. While different from your own, I think mine is a unique take on the dish. I'm new to the Food Blog scene and would love some feedback from a pro like you. Check out my recipe if have time.

    http://persnicketypanhandler.blogspot.com/2012/09/warak-einab-bil-zait.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this looks really interesting. It's not something I have tried before, but it's very tempting!

    Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Monday on Smart Party Planning.

    ReplyDelete