Monday, November 11, 2013

Dear Raffaele Esposito

Dear Raffaele Esposito


I was wondering if you could help me with a pizza sauce recipe. I know that your tavern, Pizzeria di Pietro e Basta Cosi is credited as the first restaurant to serve modern day pizza. They say that you are the first person to add mozzarella cheese to pizzas. How did you come up with that idea? And when Queen Margherita commissioned you to make her a pizza what was the blend of spices that you used? Was it simply tomatoes, and basil or did you add a little something extra to the sauce? I’ve heard that you didn’t add garlic to the sauce, and I wondered if you realized just how good garlic is supposed to be for you. I’m sure the she would have appreciated someone doing something for her health. Oh, what was it like cooking at the royal kitchen? I mean when you went to make that pizza for her was all of the equipment state of the art? I know it was the 19th century and all, but was it better than what you had available at your tavern, or were you a little disappointed when you saw the royal kitchen?

Anyway, I hope that you can drop me a line with that pizza sauce so I can share it with my friends and family.

2 comments:

  1. Who doesn't love a good pizza......................and simply cheese pizza's are yum, although Tim doesn't like them much well he says he doesn't but he eats it anyway...........lol

    ReplyDelete