Thursday, January 16, 2014

A Picture of Happiness

As we all know our personal picture of happiness changes throughout our lifetime. I’ve been thinking about how my view of happiness has changed over time. And this is how I see what happiness has looked at through the years.



As a child happiness always revolved around Christmas holidays, and snow days. Carefree summer days where I was able to sleep in and how much time I could spend outside playing.



As a teenager happiness meant new clothes. Yes, I would look at magazines and dream about the items I could buy, and how I could put together different outfits.

In my 20’s happiness involved what was going on each weekend. Was there a party to go to? Or was I going to go to the movies with a group of friends. What was happening that was fun?

In my 30’s happiness involved what new event I could find. What new and exciting place could I go to? What new and exciting person would show me something exciting in the world?

And now in my 40’s happiness is a day I can spend time at home. Happiness is about preparing and consuming a great meal. It’s about spending quality time with individuals instead of constantly being with people. It’s also about what I not being so busy all the time. It’s about being happy in the moment instead of being happy about an event.

What does happiness mean to you, and how has it changed throughout your life?

6 comments:

  1. Great post, Heidi! My happiness was connected to "bigger, brighter, shinier, faster and more" from my young adult years into my 30's. Now in my 40's, my happiness is definitely more about being in the moment and enjoying the little things. Quality not quantity and being happy just were I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonder what happiness is going to look like in our 50s?? Empty nest traveling? Grandkids? (can't believe I said that!) Thanks for sharing with us at #LOBS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fabulous post, thanks for sharing it with us on LOBS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There isn't the more frantic running around searching for happiness that I experienced in my younger days. At this stage, it's is about contentment and gratitude. It's about finding the joy in the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Heidi!

    Happiness to me right now, months from my 30th bday, is watching a movie at home, cuddling with my boyfriend and our sweet doggie, while having a glass of red wine =) At least right now, that makes me feel so blessed. =) I'm sure it will change, it's the rule of life, right?

    Thanks for linking up at Pin It Monday! =) Have a great weekend!

    - Sofia @ http://www.SomethingOnEverything.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Heidi!

    Happiness to me right now, months from my 30th bday, is watching a movie at home, cuddling with my boyfriend and our sweet doggie, while having a glass of red wine =) At least right now, that makes me feel so blessed. =) I'm sure it will change, it's the rule of life, right?

    Thanks for linking up at Pin It Monday! =) Have a great weekend!

    - Sofia @ http://www.SomethingOnEverything.com

    ReplyDelete