Saturday, January 18, 2014

Do You Believe In Fairies?

There was some down time at work the other day, and we were doing what all good employees do when they have extra time. We were looking up our hobbit names. In case you don’t know I am a geek girl.  Then I mentioned I wonder what my name as a fairy would be. Out of my co-workers mouth fall words that I never thought I would hear. He says I believe in fairies. I saw one as a child.


Now, I work at a pretty conservative place, and as I have mentioned I didn’t expect to hear that ever during my time working there. So I thought how do I play this one out? I decided to reply with the neutral ‘really?’

‘He said I know people think I’m crazy when I say it, but I saw a fairy as a child, and it wasn’t a nice one either!’ Nobody believe me when I say it! Now, I thought about my response for a second. Honestly, I didn’t know how to respond. I thought to myself, do I believe that he could have seen a fairy? And I surprised myself with the response to myself with maybe he did see one. Or maybe he’s just crazy. So I replied with the only thing I could. I don’t disbelieve you.


And as he told me the story about seeing a fairy when he was young, I realized I believe that he saw something out there in woods as a child. Was it a fairy? I’m not sure, but I do believe that this man who has a few eccentricities knows without a doubt that he saw a fairy. And I also realized that maybe I haven’t grown up as much as I thought I had because I do believe that it is possible that people really do see fairies. And so I'm asking you do you believe in fairies?



4 comments:

  1. I think you responded in the best way! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I always wonder how others feel about these kinds of things. I don't know if I would say that I believe, exactly... but I certainly believe in the possibility. I think our world is so much more vast and wonderful than we allow ourselves to see. I always think of the quote from Shakespeare, "There are more things in Heaven and on earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to respond with exactly what LazyHippieMama wrote--the Shakespeare quote. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for linking up to my blog post. This is a wonderful story. I would have believed him too. x

    ReplyDelete