Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Don’t See the Big Picture

Today I'm lucky I have my friend Grahame has agreed to provide us with an excerpt from his upcoming book. So here's a look at what he's written, please leave comments and let me know what you think of what you read.

Don't See the Big Picture
Most of what you have read about getting what you want, probably told you to focus intently on the future, as if it has already happened. Imaging yourself as already having achieved your goal, visualising yourself exactly where you want to be.
I want to tell you why I think this is a bad idea.
Your unconscious mind cannot tell the difference between something vividly imagined and reality. Horror films are a great example of this, you know logically what you are watching isn’t real, but you still get scared. Even if you think about the film a week later, you can still feel scared. Your imagination is driving the emotion you are feeling, it’s as if you are there and your body acts accordingly.
So when you vividly imagine yourself  having achieved your goal, the unconscious mind will take the foot off the gas so to speak. The reason it will do this is because your brain uses twenty percent of the calories you consume in a day, so as far as it is concerned the goal has been achieved therefore precious resources can be diverted elsewhere…makes sense.

I want to offer you an alternative, I want you to visualise going through the step you are currently engaged in and no further, don’t visualise the outcome, just the process. I think you will find this a very viable alternative, test it and see for yourself. As a matter of fact test everything I tell you, and see if it works for you. Then adapt it to your life and lifestyle as you see fit.


No comments:

Post a Comment