Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Big Storm

The big storm and the cold front that came with the storm seem to have moved on, but the big storm did shape this week. In fact it has provided quite a few surprises. So here are a few of the surprises it provided me with this week.

The first surprise the big storm brought was a phone call from my supervisor on Sunday night. She told me that they had enough they had implemented the companies emergency plan. They had individuals at the hotel that would go in early in the morning, so I could come in 3 and half hours late.  Woohoo, it was a work delay. I was extremely grateful because it meant that I didn’t have to get up in the middle of the night and shovel snow.

I got up early the next morning because I knew that I would have shovel the drive way. I was so thankful that it had stopped snowing, but there were several inches of snow that needed to be shoveled. I looked online to see what was going on with the weather. And I received another please surprise.  The city declared a snow emergency; travel was restricted to emergency vehicles only. Yes! I got a snow day! Those don’t come around too often as adults. So I decided to do a happy dance.

After a couple hours of relaxation, the sun came out and I decided that I really did need to shovel my drive way. And I realized someone had borrowed my snow shovel.  Yes, a challenge had been presented. Thankfully, I had another shovel that I could use on the drive.

Since I had the day off of work, I thought that I would lose a day of pay. But when I arrived at work on Tuesday, I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that since a snow emergency had been declared the company was going to pay us.  Another woohoo! I could pay the bills this week.

After work I decided I need to go to the store, so did everybody else in town.  I knew that everything was still covered with ice, and I didn’t think when I turned to go up an incline in my little compact car. This was a mistake. Half way up the hill, I didn’t have enough traction to make it to the top. So I’m faced with the decision to roll backwards, or spin my wheels. I started roll backwards, and a car decides to turn in. I stomped on the brakes, and I was stuck half way up the hill. The big surprise during that event was two people jumped out of their vehicles and pushed me up the hill.

Wednesday morning rolls around; one of the gentlemen I worked with was saying how they had contacted him on Sunday. He stated that they asked if he would be willing to stay in the hotel with the other staff members. He stated that he couldn’t because he didn’t have anyone to stay with his kids. My co-worker standing behind me says why couldn’t wife do that did you she leave you or something? He replies, yeah. She didn’t let go of it, she asked him three times before she realized he wasn’t kidding.  And I was standing right in the middle of an awkward conversation full of surprises.


Yes, the big storm brought about many surprises, most of them were pleasant. And I was reminded that even though life may be offering a big storm, there is always something good that will come from it.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it through safely & with a paid snow day!! We had 2 feet of snow here in Michigan - I love it!
    Angie
    godsgrowinggarden.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a crazy ice storm here in texas a few weeks ago, I don't think I could live where the winters aren't mild. Glad you got a break from work, still got paid and got help with your car :) Hopefully things will get better for your coworker maybe you can offer some encouragement. I love to bake for people it's an easy and tasty way to show you care :)

    ReplyDelete