Friday, January 24, 2014

The Countdown

Winter is not my favorite time of year. Don’t get me wrong I think the snow is pretty. In fact when it was snowing during The Big Storm a couple of weeks ago, the snow coming down was beautiful. But overall, I dislike winter. I dislike being cold. I dislike the extra 15 minutes it takes me to put on a hat coat gloves scarf and boots when I leave the house each day. I don’t like the grey skies day in and day out. There are times when the sun doesn’t come out for days on end, and I think to myself will this ever end? And there have been years when I began counting down the days until spring at the beginning of the New Year.



This year I decided that I would try and avoid that type of thing. I decided I would try to enjoy the winter a little more. Perhaps counting the days down until spring was causing the winter to seem longer. And I have made an effort to enjoy this cold season more this year. I attended the lighting of all the Christmas lights on a cold night in November. Normally, I would not have stepped outside when it was that cold. I also decided to go out and shovel the drive way when the big storm hit this year. I normally would have paid someone. So it seemed as though my plan to stay away from the countdown to spring was working. Then I ran into someone at the office I work in and she is now informing me of how many days there are until the first day of spring. Part of me is glad to know just how many days until the weather gets warmer. But I do believe that not counting down the days was helping me enjoy the cold weather a little more. I wasn’t as focused on what was going to happen. So when she asks me do you know how many days until spring next time I think I’m just going to say I’ll wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. I am the opposite, I dislike the summer. Too hot, too humid, I spend time putting on sunblock and if I'm forced to be outside by the end of the day I'm all greasy and yucky. Ugh. During the summer I live for the fall. But this past summer I tried to embrace summer and not think of when the first day of fall was and I must say the summer was a little bit more pleasant. Maybe living in the moment sometimes is the best thing we can do for ourselves. And besides, the next season always comes whether we countdown or not, right?

    ReplyDelete