Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Five Pages Where You Can Learn Something

I remember reading a book by Leo Buscaglia when I was younger. In the book he points out that every evening as they were eating, his father would ask each of them what they learned today. He explained how his father taught them the importance of learning things whether it is small or large. He taught his children to continue looking around the world and see what was around them. So here are five sites that might teach you a little trivia today or they might teach you something life changing.

1.       Learn some interesting things about George Washington. You know it’s his birthday this month, so you could learn something interesting about him. I thought it was pretty interesting that he left school at 15 to become a surveyor because his mother couldn’t afford to send him to college.


2.       Yes, I know that Valentine’s Day has come and gone for this year, but if you want to learn a little more about the holiday here’s a site to visit. The thing I found interesting is down toward the bottom of the page, Penicillin was introduced to the world on February 14, 1929. Go figure a treatment for venereal disease was introduced on a day set aside for romance. Is that weird or what?



3.       Want to learn more about food? Check out this webpage that explains about Native American Foods. Interesting thing that I learned Boston Baked Beans are derived from a  Native American dish. Who would have thought?



4.       If you want to learn something a little more active. Learn how to grow crystals. Yeah, we all did it as kids, but it’s still fun to do as an adult. Things to learn from growing crystal. Things I learned from this page there is a regular pattern to every crystal, while they are all different they all have the same pattern.


5.       Learn about the Art World. Explore some information about Pop Art. I learned that while Andy Warhol is the name that comes to mind when I think of Pop Art Richard Hamilton is actually the founder of the movement.


Let me know some of the places you go to or do in order to learn something new every day.

1 comment:

  1. cool a nice varied list of suggestions.
    I really like NYtimes they always have interesting articles
    I also love CBS Sunday Morning they always have varied stories about things, I always learn something new when I watch that :)

    ReplyDelete