Monday, February 17, 2014

The One 2s

The One 2s are a Philadelphia based band that makes me believe that alternative music scene isn’t a thing of the 80’s and 90’s, but that it’s alive and well. The One 2s have a sound that will remind you of the college radio stations of the past. The band has just released an ep titled One, and its well worth listening to.

The first track on the ep Wide Awake has kind of that grungy feel to it. The song is well mixed, and definitely has radio appeal for those of us who love alternative music. The second song Any Other Time But Now has a little darker feel to it. It’s use of what sounds like an echo box to me, and the beginning of the song reminds me of some of the songs from U2, maybe a little bit like some of the sound on the song Mothers of the Disappeared. You can definitely tell the band is experimenting with their instruments to create a great sound. And it also shows that the band will grow, which makes me glad.

The third song on the ep Running Out of Time has that fast paced New Wave feel to it. Kind of like the Go-Go’s the song just makes you want to get up and start jumping around. It’s just fun music. The final song is called Alone, and its use of minor keys in the intro makes you think of what it’s like to be alone.
I don’t think I can pick a favorite song off of this ep, because I liked all of the songs so much. I think it would depend on my mood as to which one I really picked as a favorite.

I listen to a lot of different forms of music, and there are so many different bands that I hope make it. But I can honestly say The One 2s are at the top of my new band listening favorite list. And I’m pretty sure that my friends who enjoy alternative music will like this band too.

\
So go take a listen to their music, and let me know what you think.

3 comments:

  1. I like their sound Heidi. I miss the Philadelphia music circuit. I grew up in South Jersey and we saw some wicked bands in Phila at local pubs. Ah, the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am liking what I am hearing so far. Here in Portland, Oregon we have a great alternative music scene and I almost always listen exclusively to the alternative radios station so this is right up my alley. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this sound- I had never heard of them before! New fan!

    xx Kait

    ReplyDelete