Sunday, March 16, 2014

If You Leave Me Now

Remember that song by Chicago oh so many years ago If You Leave Me Now? The song is all about how we feel if someone threatens to leave us. Oh how difficult endings can be. If you are anything like me you wrestle with the what should I do question? I repeatedly ask yourself what if this is the wrong decision? And I am wrestling with that question right now. There is a chance for a change in my life. And it’s not easy to make the decision.



So here are some of the ways that I make a decision in life.

Make a list of pros and cons.

One side of the list will probably be larger than the other. Keep in mind this list is simply a starting point. Don’t say to yourself there are too many cons to this I shouldn’t do it or vice versa. This list will simply help you identify problems that may arise from the possible change in your life.

How will you deal with upcoming challenges?

Take a close look at the cons. Look at ways that you can deal with these cons, and ask yourself are they really that big of a deal? Some will be, and some won’t. One example is I’m leaving a high paying job for a lower paying job because it lowers my stress level. Work out a budget ahead of time, is it a budget you can live within? Another example is I want to go back to school will I have time to study and meet my current obligations? You might need to take a look at what obligations are necessary and which ones aren’t?

Does this change fit into my long term goals?

Think to yourself, does this change fit in with where I want to go in life? Is it a new relationship? Ask yourself, will this relationship move me to what I want? Will this person be supportive of my long term goal? New job, does this job provide me with training, a better schedule, or simply more pay? If you ask yourself these questions it will help you identify whether the decision is a quick fix or something that will make your life better.


Remember that change is always stressful, but there are ways to make the decision a little easy. And as you leave one phase of your life the next one will begin.

7 comments:

  1. These are such great points and advice, I am actually trying to boost my own blog and turn it into something stronger so one day I can be my own boss. Sometimes when things are too stressful, the higher pay isn't worth it. So, that's one pro! Good luck on your new adventure. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi, I do find that asking these questions can be really useful and particularly in forcing yourself to make a written or typed list. Changes of any kind can be really difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely weigh out pros and cons for large decisions. There are times though that you go with your gut and not whats black and white at the time. My goal is to pay off my debt so that if i ever get laid off (my company is merging soon with another) , I can afford to take a job that pays less than what i make and still be comfortable. Change is scary but exciting all in the same time. I'm praying for you to feel peace about your decisions and best of luck! This time last year we were paired up around Easter. I remember buying you some fun vintage rabbits from antique store. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up with Meal Planning Monday Recipe Link-Up last week, I hope you stop by again this week. I am looking forward to following your blog and joining you for Wake Up Wednesday. :) http://www.aprilshomemaking.com/2014/03/meal-planning-monday-recipe-link-up-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great share. I love post that make me stop and think :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are some great tips. I use very similar tools to help me when making a big decision, and it has helped me to make some great decisions in the past.

    Thanks so much for sharing on Turn It Up Tuesday! We love having you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so a list maker! I think it's important to look at things factually instead of emotionally often, since emotions are fleeting and entangling. When I go with the facts, I have never been wrong. Only when I've gone with my "heart". Thanks for sharing with Turn it Up Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete