Sunday, April 27, 2014

Broken Hearts

I once had a professor, who asked us the question why is it that we spare no expense when it comes to giving individuals treatment for cancer, but we do little to nothing for the people who may be dying from broken hearts? I’ve been thinking about this statement a lot these past few days.  And I have to admit I’m not really sure what direction I am going with this post.

Over the past couple of months individuals I know have been affected by suicides. Two different young men choose to take their lives. Both were fairly dramatic affairs, and I have seen individuals I like struggling with the pain of these young men’s decisions. Like everyone else who has heard about someone committing suicide, I wondered what were these young men thinking?  

IN 2010 SUICIDE WAS THE 10TH LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH IN THE US. THAT YEAR THERE WERE 38,364 REPORTED CASES OF SUICIDE.

And then I wondered how do you comfort the individuals who were close to these young men?
I thought about those simple words, I know how you feel. But the truth is I don’t know how they feel. I don’t know the sorrow they are feeling. I don’t know the regrets they have. So that is something I decided shouldn’t be said.

I thought about the words this is God’s plan. Then I thought this isn’t God’s plan. It is never God’s plan for individuals to cause harm to themselves.  Again I thought don’t say that.

Then I thought may I should I should say if there is anything I can do to make you feel better let me know. Once again that didn’t seem right. There probably is nothing I can do to ease their pain. Time is the healer of those wounds.


All of those things seemed like things you would tell someone if you wanted to make yourself feel better instead of them. So I decided the only thing that I could say was: “You are in my thoughts and prayers.”

1 comment:

  1. Yes we need to spend more time and money on treating a broken heart although it is not easy to treat a broken heart

    ReplyDelete