Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Surprise Ingredient

Today, there is a surprise ingredient in the recipe. But first let me tell you a secret. I have a green thumb. It’s no ordinary green thumb either. Now those of you who know me, are saying you do? Yes, I do! I can grow a dandelion like nobody else on the planet. Just ask my neighbors. Short of dumping tons of weed killer on my yard, and killing the entire yard, the dandelions I grow can’t be stopped. My dandelions are guaranteed to be the best home grown greens available.
 
I’ve often wondered why we have such a hatred for these flowers that really are pretty good for us. They are related to sunflowers, and they are high in nutrients. I mean they are kind of a super food. They are super high in vitamin K, vitamin a, calcium, and fiber.

But I’ve always hesitated when it comes to incorporating these greens into my diet. But this is the year for new things. I thought to myself, I’m going to do it. I’m going to make a dandelion salad. But then I thought what if I don’t like the taste? I decided that I would begin using this super healthy weed in place of the lettuce that I would normally add to items. I mean it’s a green isn’t it? And it worked. I like those greens I grew.



Here’s how I incorporated dandelion greens into this recipe.

The Surprise Ingredient


Chicken Burrito
Here’s what you need
Flour tortilla
Shredded chicken
Refried beans
Sliced avocado
Diced tomatoes
Shredded dandelion greens
Chopped onion
Shredded cheese
Wrap all the ingredients in the flour shell, and you have your burrito.


What I found was that I liked the greens. It was an easy and well in my case cheap substitute for head lettuce that I would have bought. So think twice before you wage war on those dandelions. You might be able to save yourself a trip to the store, save some money, and add some nutritional kick to your meal by using them in your recipes.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting, I've never tried dandelion greens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to add the dandelion greens to the salad, I'll have to try that.


    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I too have eyeballed those dandelions knowing that others eat them, but have never been brave enough. So,maybe I'll just have to try it now! =)

    Julie@ pleasantmountainlife.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've crossed the line into "obsessed" when it comes to this cheery weed. Thank you for sharing on Green Thumb Thursday. Make sure you swing by today and share again. I love your posts.

    ReplyDelete