Saturday, May 17, 2014

What Does a Family Look Like?

Have you ever thought about what a family really looks like? I know we all have the traditional idea of what a family is. It consists of a mother, a father, and two children preferably a boy and a girl. But is that what a family really looks like? I don’t believe so.
Of course a family consists of a parent and a child. It might even consist of two parents and more than one child. But a family also is made up of aunts, uncles, grandparents, and cousins. In some cases a grandparent acts as a parent. Yes, these people are all part of a family.
But for many individuals family is more than just blood relatives. A family includes the friends we gather along the way. Family includes those friends who will drop what they are doing to pick you up when your car is broke down. It includes the person who will tell you something you really don’t want to hear. And it includes those individuals who act as your cheerleaders in order to achieve your dreams.

So if you look around, you will be able to find family pretty much everywhere you go.

2 comments:

  1. Yes I think of a family as a mum & dad and children but I have two daughters who are single parents one of which is really doing it alone as my grandson's father is not in the picture at all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed...though the hardest part there for me is thinking of strangers as "family". I tend to just think of my community that way. :)

    ReplyDelete