Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Three Ways To Not Let Someone Steal Your Happiness

Have you ever been around someone who was complaining? Have you thought to yourself do you think you’re the only one going through this? That’s what happened to me this week. I was with a person who was complaining about her busy schedule. At first I thought she just needs someone to listen to her. So I did for a while. But as she was talking I thought she is being rather self-centered. Her situation is no different than mine or the other person who was with me. Our lives were extremely busy, and we were having a lot of things tossed at us at the very last minute.


Then I thought to myself why is this annoying me so much? First, I thought her complaints were starting to steal some of my happiness.  Her complaints were making me think that my life wasn’t so good because I am so busy. And it frustrated me because I was allowing this to happen. So here are some tips on what you should do if someone is trying to steal your happiness.

1.       Oh, no, you are not!
When I realized what was going on, I immediately told myself, I am not going there. I am not going to start feeling sorry for myself. I am not going to let someone take away my happiness.

2.       Put myself in her place
In order to not be part of her behavior, I decided to try and put myself in her place. She is young with children, and life can be quite hectic. She doesn’t have enough experience to realize that we are all pretty busy. When I did this, I was able to empathize with her without losing my happiness.

3.       Change the Topic!
In the above situation, I asked the lady about her kids, and she soon started talking about something else. It was a simple solution, but it worked. I found that if I focused on something she was interested in she responded pretty well.

So using these three strategies, I was able to move from being annoyed, and allowing someone to steal my happiness to a conversation that was more productive for everyone involved. 

Related Posts

Three Secrets to Finding Happiness
Three Tips On Staying Cheery When You Get Disappointing News
A Picture of Happiness

Music to Blog By Alley Cat by Bent Fabric




6 comments:

  1. I totally feel you! I know a couple of people who I have to constantly change the subject with so that I don't have to listen to their whining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh I feel like this a lot! I know not to bring up certain subjects just so my friends won't complain for a hour. lol Thank you for sharing it on our Four Seasons Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great strategy, especially #3 when you caused the shift in topic by asking about her kids. Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts on not letting someone steal your happiness.

    Stopping by from SITS. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great strategy, especially #3 when you shifted the topic by asking how her kids were doing. Thanks for sharing your experience and your thoughts on how to not let someone steal your happiness.
    Stopping by from SITS. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know several people like this, especially my ex. He feels the need to tell me how miserable he is every time I see him. Stopping by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! Pinned! Please join us tonight at 7 pm and party with us. We feel honored when you stop by! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete