Wednesday, September 10, 2014

I Thought I Was Prepared

I was listening to the reports from Mesa, AZ today. You know the place where all that flooding has been going on. I heard a gentleman say I thought I was prepared, but I guess I wasn’t. The truth is nobody is completely prepared for a flood or any other natural disaster. And I realized most of us aren’t prepared for a disaster. It doesn’t matter whether it’s the Zombie Apocalypse, Hurricane Katrina, or that flood that we didn’t think would happen because we live in a low to moderate flood risk area.

So, I after thinking about this I went to FEMA’s site and looked up emergency supply kit. According to them you should have these items on hand.

Picture Courtesy of World Prep

1. Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation.

 2. Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food

 3. Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both

 4. Flashlight and extra batteries

 5. First aid kit

 6, Whistle to signal for help

 7. Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place

8.  Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation

 9. Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities

 10. Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)

 11. Local maps


So after reviewing the items I have in my house. I actually have three items on the list. I have parts of a first aid kit, but since it’s incomplete I decided not to include an item I have. I have a flashlight, but no extra batteries. What I have on the list is a manual can opener, a wrench or pliers, and garbage bags. So if the great disaster occurs don’t come to my house because I’m not prepared at this time, but then how prepared are you for a disaster?

Music to blog by It's the End of the World by R.E.M.


Other Links You Might Enjoy


1 comment: