Thursday, October 16, 2014

Five Things I Learned Watching The Big Bang Theory

Remember how they used to tell us that television would rot our brains. Remember how adults used to tell us we would never learn anything just sitting and watching television. Well here are five things I learned from watching The Big Bang Theory.

When Sheldon and Amy broke up, and Sheldon decided to bring home a bunch of cats. I learned that a group of cats is called a clowder. It seems as though crazy cat people have always been around, and well there is a word for the group of cats.

clowder

The next thing I learned is that vexillology is the study of flags. Who knew that people actually study that stuff? But then again Sheldon and Amy are probably the only people who would put together a 52 week long show on youtube about flags. Well, may they aren’t I really haven’t checked that one out.


Physica is actually the originally form of the word physics used in Ancient Greece. I needed to know this just as much as Penny did, but for some weird reason it’s stuck in my head.  



I learned that a graphene sheet is a very thin sheet of carbon. Like it’s so thin it’s one atom thick. I never heard of a graphene sheet before The Big Bang Theory.



I never had any idea that loop quantum gravity was a theory that tried to merge quantum mechanics and standard general relativity. Remember it was part of the reason that Leslie ended her relationship with Leonard. Who knew how important it is?


So the next time someone tells you that television is bad for you just point them toward this post, and they'll learn that prime time television can be just as educational as PBS.

Music to blog by The Big Bang Theory Dance and Music Compilation


Other Links You Might Enjoy








8 comments:

  1. What a fun post! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, I love this post so, so much. The Big Bang Theory is my favorite show! And I agree with you, I've learned a lot from that show. Of course, nothing specific comes to mind right now. Oh wait, Fig Newtons were named after a town in Massachusetts and not the scientist!

    Glad I stopped by today via the SITSGirls sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post because I have been an avid Big Bang fan from the beginning. I don't care that much for many shows other than ones on HGTV, Food Network or PBS, but this show is always witty and bright!

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Great post! I've learned all kinds of maneuvers to get away from zombies from the show 'The Walking Dead'. I'm ready for the Zombie Apocalypse. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. :-) It's crazy that you can actually learn things from this funny entertaining show! Great post! :-)
    Cathy @ three kids and a fish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heidi, stopping by to check out your comments/vistors. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved reading this! 5 years back, when I moved to the States, I started watching Desperate Housewives and there was so much that I learned from that series. Definitely not the scientific terms but a lot about the culture of this country, the common phrases used during conversations and so much about the do's and dont's. Whosoever said watching TV was bad, probably did not know how to find the good in it :D

    Fellow co-host from WUW,
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete