Saturday, November 22, 2014

Being Thankful

Thanksgiving is coming and hopefully we are all thinking about things we are thankful for. But this Thanksgiving I've thought about things and I wondered is giving thanks the same as being thankful?

 
So I thought about what is giving thanks. To me giving thanks is telling others the things that you are thankful for. Not just on occasions, but on a regular basis. Not just the big things in life, but the things we take for granted. I thought to myself I do a pretty good job with this. I am thankful for so many things.
 
But when I thought what is the difference between being thankful and giving thanks. I thought giving thanks is a one time action. And being thankful is a constant lifestyle. You see it seems to me that giving thanks is the first step in a taking on a lifestyle of being thankful.
 
So I thought to myself, am I constantly thankful? Well, no, in all honesty, I don't think it's a constant. I am thankful for the good things that happen to me. And there are many good things that happen to me all the time. There are times when I am amazed at the good things that happen to me. But when problems arise I am struggle with seeing the good in it.
 
I know that something good comes out of everything. I thought to myself I so often so that there is a problem. But in reality, it is a challenge. A challenge provides an individual with the opportunity to grow. And well growth usually isn't comfortable. And once again if I am honest I don't like to be uncomfortable.
 
So I guess my personal challenge is learning how to be thankful when the opportunities for growth come along. To me it seems like a big challenge. And I'm still figuring it out, but I do know that I believe that we need to give thanks for the good things in life. And then we need to move past that attitude toward the lifestyle of being thankful.
 
Other Posts You Might Enjoy
 
Faithful Followers are you looking for a link party that will challenge you? Check out the weekly linky challenge at Be Still Be Free
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


4 comments:

  1. This is so true and exactly our message we try to emphasize -- DOING an act doesn't mean you're BEING an act. I loved what you said, "being thankful is a constant lifestyle." That is just truth!! Thank you for sharing your heart and linking up, Heidi! We appreciate you! (Monica @ Be)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! It's important to distinguish between giving thanks and being thankful... it requires a change in the posture of our heart; a rewiring that we can't do on our own. But each time we choose to give thanks, we are opening up to the ONE who can change us and make us thankful people. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfulness is something that is important now and forever. Touching many, many people in our life, our world. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gratefulness does many wonderful things to the grateful heart. Your life sort of upgrades when you start to be thankful. May you have more things to be thankful for. :)

    ReplyDelete