Thursday, January 15, 2015

Adventures In Employment

I arrive at work at my usual 2:55am this morning. Something doesn't seem quite right. I'm the only one there. I think to myself maybe everyone is running a little late this morning. Yeah, that's the answer. I begin working. And the phone starts ringing. Who on earth can be calling here at 3 in the morning? If something is annoying you should always ignore it right? So I ignored the phone and it stopped ringing. I thought to myself that trick always works I am so brilliant. I keep working.

A few minutes have gone by and nobody else has arrived at work. The phone starts ringing again. I think to myself how am I supposed to get this work done with that phone ringing. I decide it's probably one of my co-workers saying that they are going to be late. I answer the phone. It's the boss. I'm like oh great. She asks me to get a phone number for her. I ask her if one of my co-workers has called in sick. Yep, that's it. I hang up, and I go back to work.



Can you believe that phone rang again? I'm starting to get a little annoyed. Where is the other co-worker so he can answer the phone? I answer the phone. It's him! He's sick. I'm okay, I'll let the boss know. I start working and this is what happened.



I was like that phone never rings this much at this time of day, well night whatever 3:20am is. I answer it AGAIN. It's my boss again. She begins to tell me what she wants me to do. I tell her she kind of has a problem here because my other co-worker called in. She asks is so and so there? I tell her no I'm the only one here. She begins to tell me what she is going to do. I interrupt her, and tell ask her don't you think I ought to be working since I'm the only one here? She agrees that this might be a good idea.

I think to myself where do they get these people? I'm still the only one here though. A little more time goes by and another co-worker shows up to start work as usual. And then another I smile and say oh good there's three of us now. I'm not all alone. They are like huh? I'm like yep, the others are sick. We all agree that this isn't a positive thing, and we can't wait to see how it works out.

We begin working as hard as we can because it is going to be extremely difficult to get all of this work finished in the time we have to complete it in. There is a flurry of commotion. It's the boss! She is going to help us. My boss is a good person, but she is one of those individuals who just has a little bit of chaos that surrounds her. So we all roll our eyes. Oh, boy this is going to be interesting.

The next co-worker is arrives. She has been called at 3:20am and told she needs to come to work. I think to myself why did you answer the phone? We all know don't answer the phone when work calls in the middle of the night. It's NEVER a good thing! She starts working, and encourages the boss to work on the other side of the building. Good thinking. The boss will be out of our hair!

Then the supervisors arrive. They ask the boss what she is doing. I need to help so and so called in. The supervisors actually begin to help us. Something is wrong here. This never happens.

Later a co-worker informs me that I can work up to 12 hours today and get the overtime because management was assisting with our job. I think to myself you're the mayor of crazy town if you think I'm going to stay and work 12 hours. But I refrain from sharing this thought with my co-worker. Saying this may not be beneficial in the long run. Thank you inner voice for telling me not to speak! Things are moving along, but not that smoothly.

Another co-worker arrives. He begins a conversation across the room with the supervisor. I didn't know if I was supposed to come in today or not. Am I supposed to be here? The supervisor replies blah, blah, blah. The co-worker blah, blah, blah, am I supposed to be here? At this point I broke. I have worked through the entire morning seeing the humor. Telling myself things happen. But this was the last straw. I can restrain myself no more. So what falls out of my mouth? Well, you're here now so get to work! Cheers erupt from my co-workers!

These are the continuing adventures in employment. The stories of workers around the world.

Music to blog by The Millionaire's Holiday by Combustible Edison

1 comment: