Saturday, January 3, 2015

Customer Service Nightmares

Recently I read on MSN about a man who taped his customer service nightmare phone call. As I read the article and listened to the phone call, I had flashbacks to my own personal experience with a large cable provider. I also thought about a friend of mine who had a similar experience. My friend's reactions are so extreme to the name of that cable provider that while we are in his presence. The cable provider in essence is like Voldemort in the Harry Potter series. It is the name that must not be spoken.


My experience was nearly as painful as the man in the call. He made several calls trying to change his internet service. In my experience I was trying to cancel a package deal. In fact at one point in my conversations with the cable provider customer service, I was told that what I wanted wasn't possible. Deep in my heart I knew that wasn't true.  I decided that I would solve the problem. I needed to speak to a person face to face. So I headed down to my local cable providers office. I was prepared for a long drawn out meeting involving an argument where I would be extremely frustrated.

What happened was quite the opposite. I went into the office ready for a verbal confrontation. I went to the desk. The customer representative asked me how he could help me. I told him I wanted to change my cable service. I told him what I wanted he said okay. I mean he literally said okay. I couldn't believe it. It lacked the drama of a call to customer service. I the customer was right. I was given the service that I provided. How could this be? It was so unlike other customer service experiences.

A couple of days later I received a phone call from a research company who wanted to ask questions about my experience with the cable provider. I thought to myself oh no I knew the experience I had at that office was too good to be true. But it really was a research call. The researcher told me that my experience was nothing new to him. And while he didn't say anything negative about the provider. I told him was my question was why was it so easy to get what I wanted when I went to the office? He said the answer was simple. The primary job of the customer service agents over the phone was sales. And the customer service agents in the office was to receive payments.

When I thought about the entire situation, I thought to myself I am part of the problem we have with customer service.  Instead of actually going to see a person face to face. In my experience I was trying to make a phone call to get what I wanted. I was trying to take the easy way out to solve a problem. And I ended up frustrated. But when I finally decided to do things the old fashioned way, I got the results I wanted. Instead of spending hours on the phone speaking with someone whose job wasn't really to help me. I actually went and spoke to someone whose job was to help me. So my advice to anyone who wants to solve a problem with their cable provider don't waste your time with a phone call. Go to the office in the end it will save you time, money, and frustration.

Music to blog by Dashboard by Modest Mouse

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Heidi! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I hear you at least you could go and talk to someone face to face here you usually just get told to ring even if you go into the office they will tell you to ring their customer service centre and offer to let you use their phone to do so. My mum has even said if I have to ring I will do it from home.

    ReplyDelete