Thursday, March 26, 2015

Operation Clean Medicine Cabinet

Many of us have started our spring cleaning. And well at my house operation clean medicine cabinet was in need. While I don't take prescription medications, my medicine cabinet was full of expired over the counter medication. I mean really expired by like a couple of years. You know the only time you would take medication that was that expired was if there was a zombie apocalypse.

 
So I have decided what to keep and what to get rid of. But how do I get rid of this medicine? Just throwing it in the trash didn't seem to be the right thing. So I did a little research, and low and behold I was right.
 
The FDA recommends that if you have prescription drugs that need to be disposed of that you take them to a community Drug Take Back Program. These are usually held through pharmacies are hospitals. It's important to remember that medication is meant for the individual it was prescribed to. It should not be given to other individuals. So proper disposal is important. These were all good things for me to remember, but I really didn't have prescription drugs to dispose of.
 
The problem in my medicine cabinet was those expired over the counter drugs. As I read through the instructions for over the counter medications, I was really glad to read that I did not have to save them for a Drug Take Back Program. I could actually dispose of them in the trash as long as I used some sense.
 
One of the things the FDA suggested was that you dispose of expired over the counter medications in used kitty litter. Finally, changing that litter box has a purpose. Well a purpose other than the obvious. The FDA stated that this would discourage children and animals from eating the unused medication. 
 
I am really glad that I took the few minutes that it took to go through items in my medicine cabinet and just get rid of things that were expired. I didn't realize how much junk I had sitting in there.
 
So do you need an operation clean medicine cabinet at your house?
 
You can visit The American Recall Center to learn more about the Medicine Cabinet Clean Out Challenge.
You might want to check out Picnic Safety too.


3 comments:

  1. I totally need to do this! My son was sick last week and I grabbed the children's tylenol and it expired in 2012! I hate having to run to the store for things like that when we're sick, time for a clean-out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I have never thought of the safe medicine disposal!!! This is very useful information. I should take the medicine cabinet clean out seriously.
    God bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that about the kitty litter, great tip! Thanks for sharing at What'd You Do This Weekend?!

    ReplyDelete