Thursday, April 23, 2015

Are Food Preservative Preserving Your Fat?

Have you ever read the label on a canned good? It's kind of scary isn't it? All those words you can't pronounce. I recently had a conversation with a friend who moved out to the country. She spent last summer gardening, canning and all of the hard work that goes a long with living the quiet life. She stated that she lost the weight she normally does in the summer, but she didn't gain any winter weight. My reply to her was you are eating food that you canned they are fewer preservatives. The preservatives can cause you to gain weight. So are food preservatives preserving your fat?

Well, I'm not a scientist, but I believe they are. But with the reading I've done it seems as though this is true.



Did you know?


The antibiotics in dairy products may be killing off good bacteria in your digestive tract. Is this proven, well I don't have specifics, but it makes sense.

Studies have shown that high fructose corn syrup have caused weight gain in rats. They gained weight when rats who were provided with table sugar and had the same calorie intake for the day didn't. That's scary isn't it?

Hydrogenated fats are used in cookies, chips and crackers. They make the shelf life of foods longer. They are more commonly referred to as trans fats. Keep in mind trans fats do occur in some foods naturally. It's the ones that are used as preservatives that are dangerous.

After learning just a few things, I've decided maybe I should read those food labels a little more closely. And well maybe I need to reach for some foods that are a little more healthy when I'm at the store.




8 comments:

  1. It's a little frightening what's in our food these days isn't it? I've started paying a lot more attention to what the labels say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One really needs to be careful with their diet. I am a label reader and I am not ashamed of spending time comparing products. It is time invested in my health. #blogboosterparty3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm agree with you! Its no wonder there are so many illnesses these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a terrifying concept!!! I do believe you are right; however... and it makes sense. We cook most things from scratch... BUT we do have the occasional fish sticks and fries, or mac and cheese or pizza... and we usually don't feel as well afterwards.. and have trouble with bloating. We rarely see that on a regular basis. Thank you for the information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a label reader too Heidi. Thanks for bring this post to the attention of Fridays Blog Booster Party. I agree with you and the others here that it is time invested in our health and a little research will come up with your conclusions and other gems as well.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to avoid most foods with labels all together and focus on buying ingredients instead (meat, veggies, fruit, etc). When I do buy something with a label, my rule of thumb is finding items with only two- three ingredients that I know what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to be mindful of what we're eating - I've got a little one who is just starting solids & I'm going to be making his food for him. It's scary what's in everything processed! Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty :)

    ReplyDelete