Thursday, May 14, 2015

A Week in Winter Book Review

I recently read Maeve Binchy's book A Week in Winter. I have read several other of her books and I really enjoyed them. So I thought I couldn't go wrong with this book.
This book is the story of several individuals who find themselves staying for a week at a bed and breakfast in a town named Stoneybridge. An actor, a librarian, a woman and her boyfriend's mother, are all just a few of the visitors at Stoneybridge. All of the characters are interesting, and each has a story. Their reasons for coming to Stoneybridge are all different, but they find by the end of the week that the trip was exactly what they needed.
 
I was right when I thought that I couldn't go wrong with this book. Like the other books that I read by this author she creates characters that I can identify with. She does a great job of showing the strengths and weaknesses of each character in the book. And the book draws you in. Binchy is a great story teller.
 
There are two things that I didn't like about this book. The first was that it ended. I missed the characters when the book was finished. I felt like the were people that I knew well and I had shared part of their lives. The second thing I didn't like was this was Maeve Binchy's last book. She passed away in July of 2012. I will miss her writing. Her books always entertained me, and made me remember that everyone no matter how great their life seems has problems. But their problems don't have to define them. Problems are just a transition time in life.
 
Another book review you might enjoy.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment