Friday, October 9, 2015

It's Like Retiring Your Number

Several years ago I had the opportunity to visit the town I lived in as a child. It was a great visit. I had the opportunity to see places that were important in my early life. You know those places that bring back all those warm fuzzy feelings. I saw the places I went swimming. I saw the house I lived in. I saw people that I knew as a child. I remembered how big they all seemed. I was having a great time.

Then we drove past my old school. The building was there. I was remembering my first day there. I was remembering my friends. And then someone told me. They closed this school. I thought what did they say?

It's true they closed the school. All of the sudden I knew how an athlete felt when they retired his or her number. The place where I learned to read and write was no longer teaching children these valuable skills. And what about those warming house where we used to go and warm up after we practiced skating. The swing sets, the library, what happened to all of them?

You see that is the day that I really realized that things don't stay the way you remember them. Things change, sometimes we find out that they have changed for the better and sometimes they change for the worse. But one thing you can always count on is that things will always change!

Come read another one
Life As a Goldfish


5 comments:

  1. You are so right about change. I think a part of maturing is accepting change and if they are changes for the better we should accept them or be left behind. It is fun to go back to old haunts, to see houses we used to live in, it is kind of really nice and bit sad too.
    Thanks, Kathleen
    Fridays Blog Booster Party #27

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed most of your visit! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful article - I can totally relate - I visit my hometown a few times a year and every time something has changed. Thank you for sharing!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting your old stomping grounds is bittersweet. You have good memories, but things change. I hardly recognize the town I grew up in, and my old home is there but surrounded by different things. It makes me happy for progress but sad for what once was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty little picture.

    Kitty seems better today. Won't know until after his bloodwork is done Monday if it is enough.

    ReplyDelete