Saturday, October 24, 2015

Just Ten Seconds At a Time

Have you ever had times when you just feel a little overwhelmed by a situation? You know those times when you just don't feel like you can make it through the day. There's just too much going on.

I recently had a day like that. It was the real first day that I was working at my new position. My faithful followers will know that I had the flu last week. Yes, it knocked me for a loop. And I spent an entire day sleeping. But I had to go to work the next day. There were no ifs, ands or buts. I had to go. No time to be sick.

So I go to work. Everyone says it's going to be a busy day. And they weren't kidding. I help the first person. And they ask for something I had no clue how to do. I looked around to see if I could ask for help. Um, no, they were all assisting other people. So I couldn't get any help. The supervisor was busy too.


So I took a breath, and put on my thinking cap. I vaguely remembered that this situation was mentioned in the training. I remembered how to start solving the problem. And I had to think my way through the situation. I took another breath, and somehow made it through the problem. That task was finished.

I thought the next one will be easier. Nope, another situation I couldn't remember how I drew a blank on at first. I had to get that thinking cap out again. And I thought to myself this is going to be a long day. I don't know what I'm doing, and there really isn't anyone who has time to help me.

I made my way through the morning. My lunch break arrived. I was so relieved. I could take that cap off for an hour. I still didn't feel well, and I knew that if I ate things would go really wrong the afternoon. So I spent an hour just relaxing.

I thought half of the day is over, I go back in and once again I have another task I am unsure how to complete. I was a little frustrated. Why were these routine tasks so challenging? I took a breath and decided to think it through again. I was able to do it. The process continued over and over. But before you know it, it was time to go home.

And boy was I relieved. What I remembered that day was that if you take situations just ten seconds at a time you can work your way through pretty much any situation. If you break things down into simpler tasks somehow they become much easier. The key to making it through was not allowing that situation to take control. But instead take control over what you can control. That day it was simply a few seconds at a time. But you know what it worked. And I survived that day.

Another great post
The Greater the Struggle the More Glorious the Triumph

No comments:

Post a Comment