Friday, October 23, 2015

Sleepy Hollow

October is the month for creepy stories. And Sleepy Hollow by Dax Varley is a great place to start. When the author contacted me, and asked me if I would do a review of the book, I was glad. I thought it would be the perfect type of book to read during the Halloween season.

The Story

The story is based on the characters and storyline from the original book The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. But the story is told from Katrina's point of view. There is a new teacher in Sleepy Hollow. And Katrina finds that she wants to know him better. The reason the new teacher is in the village is the last one was murder by the headless horseman. And after the teacher arrives the rider strikes again. But in a village full of superstition, nobody is looking at why he striking. Katrina is intelligent and wealthy. She finds that her new love may be marked by the horseman. And she is willing to take a lot of chances to help him out.

What I Liked

I liked this book. It was easy to read. And most importantly it held my attention throughout the entire book. That doesn't always happen. I liked that the book had a murder mystery feel to it. And while the story had romance that isn't all the book focused on. It had enough of the supernatural to make it spooky too. But there was another thing that I thought was interesting in this book. The author showed that life during the post revolutionary period could be fairly difficult for a young woman. Young women were vulnerable to the whims of the men that surrounded them. Their means of income often came from their fathers. And men assumed that they would be able to gain that money through marriage. Ever strong and intelligent females had to face the fact that they weren't totally independent. And the last thing that I found enjoyable about this book was that the ending was not totally predictable.

What I Didn't Like

This is the first book in a series. Why is there always a series of books you have to read? Why can't authors just write one really good book. But at the same time I will gladly read the second book. I liked the characters in the book and I will gladly spend more time with them.

Who Will Like This Book

It should be obvious, if you enjoy stories about the supernatural and ghosts you will probably enjoy this book. People who like horror stories without all the gore will also enjoy this. There is a little bit of darkness in the story. And it points out some of the negative qualities that arise in relationships. You know just how jealousy can turn into something ugly. So I think that young females would also enjoy this book. Also fans of historical fiction may enjoy this book because it is based in the past and it does highlight some of the issues of the early 1800's.

Disclaimer: I did receive a free copy of this book in exchange for completing a review, but you all know that the opinions are solely mine.


1 comment:

  1. When I first saw the title and then the author, I was confused a bit and then read the rest of he post. I used to live not far form Sleepy Hollow while growing up.

    ReplyDelete