Saturday, November 21, 2015

Is Money Everything?

I was speaking with a co-worker the other day. She stated that she needed to work overtime in order to pay her bills. I was floored. My co-workers and I have pretty good jobs that pay fairly well. We aren't rich, but if you have worked there for any length of time, you should be somewhat comfortable.

As I thought about what was said I thought to myself i money everything? And are dollars the only measure of true wealth? I thought about the many people I know. I thought about what I know about their lives. And then I thought about which of them seems happiest. It seems like people fell into three categories

Money Is the Answer

I have heard individuals say that when I have more money, I'll feel better. Some of these individuals were truly going through financial difficulties. And they were working hard to pay off some large bills. But there are others who say they have to work a certain amount of overtime so they can meet their goals. But at the same time they are complaining because they can't get time off of work to do something they want to do. I have to ask myself was the extra money they earned worth what they missed? It feels like these individuals always have some new reason that they must have more money in order to be satisfied.

Doing What I Have To Do

I hear some people say I'm doing what I have to do in order to make it through this time. I just don't have enough cash right now. And many of these individuals stick with it. They cut expenses. They work a little extra. And then they throw a party because they have made it through the difficult times.

It's Just Money

I often hear individuals say it's just money. They constantly say money isn't important. Some say they can always get more. Some of them work hard, and some of them don't work at all. But boy when they have money they spend it quickly. There's always more to come. 

As I thought about it more. There is something in each of these attitudes that is respectable. It is respectable to work and set financial goals. It is respectable to just get through rough financial times. And it is important to believe that money isn't meant to be hoarded. But is having just one of these attitudes healthy? Are these individuals happy with their finances? And does that make them happier in life?

It occurred to me that our attitudes toward money often reflect how much money we have, but that same question is there more than one way to measure wealth?

The conclusion I came to is yes, there is more than one way to measure wealth. There are individuals who are rich in cash flow. And there are individuals who are rich in enjoying the moment. And the group that I felt were the richest of all. The individuals who knew that knew there are times when you have to work really hard, and then there are times when you are sit back and enjoy life.

So what are your attitudes toward money? And are there any that I haven't thought of?



1 comment:

  1. Lovely post and I definitely agree with your view, people in money/richness in different ways, I think it all comes down to how you view life :)

    I have a new outfit post up on the blog, would love to know your thoughts:

    * Electric Sunrise - Fashion and Lifestyle Blog *

    x

    ReplyDelete