Friday, January 15, 2016

At The Sharp End of Lightening

I was fortunate enough to receive a copy of At The Sharp End of Lightening by NR Bates. I'm always glad to read new books. And I'm always glad to let others know what I think of them. So here is what I think of this book.


The Story

Yalara is a Sea Sprite who is searching for her love across the oceans. She meets catastrophe and somehow the world she knows has changed. In another place Eionon is facing his own problems. He is suffering from a disease and then someone is trying to kill him. And soon the two find that they are connected and must find the meaning of what has occurred in their lives.

What I Liked and Disliked

First, the two things I didn't like about the book. It is a bit slow at the beginning. And it is part of a series. But once you get past the first couple of chapters you will get more involved in the story. The characters are interesting. And I like that the author chose sea creatures as some of the main characters. This isn't the norm in the fantasy fiction world. This is part of what makes the book unique. And I like that. 

I like that the author has developed a fairly complex story line. His story takes place on four different worlds. And I really liked that part of the story revolves around environmental issues. 

Now I said at the beginning of this section that I don't like books that are part of a series. And I usually don't. I feel like I am being forced to read another book to find out what happens. And I feel like a lot of times it's just a gimmick to sell more books. But since the story in this book is intelligent, and it has such a complex plot. I actually look forward to reading the next book. That's not something I always say about series. I don't see how the author could have resolved the story in just one book.

Who Should Read This Book

If you are looking for an easy read this book may not be for you. The story line moves around, and you will need to use the glossary the author has included in the book. But if you are a fan of intelligently written and complex books in the fantasy genre this book is for you. 

The Bonus

The bonus with this review is a giveaway. Just follow the instructions on the rafflecopter form below and you could be a winner!

a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment