Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Giving Candy To Strangers

I recently had  the opportunity to read the book Giving Candy to Strangers by Stan Holden. I did receive a free copy of the book in exchange for a review, but I will tell you what I think of the book.


The Story

This book is a guide to increasing your sales. We live in a world where everyone is looking to see what they can get out of everyone else. How are we going to get what we want. But in this book the author points out that in order to get something we need to focus on what is really important. And the truly important thing in life is the people that we come in contact with. 

His plan for a successful business is simple. Give to people. And you need to give something that is valuable to everyone. Give your sincerity. Give without really expecting to get something in return. And more times than not your get something back. You get that sale that you wanted.

Just because the author encourages you to focus on giving doesn't mean that he doesn't tell you that you shouldn't sell. He just encourages you to remember that the relationship you are building is more important than that a one time sale. 

What I Liked and Disliked

I really liked that this book was not a sales formula. So often books about customer relationships tell people this and you will get this. The author really focuses in on give and see what happens. And he shows how this works. He uses examples of how this has been successful in his life. I liked that this book encourages individuals to put out positive activity in order to get positive relationships in your life. 

The one thing that I disliked about his approach is he encourages the reader to use every aspect of social media to assist them with sales. I get what he is saying, and I believe it works, but there are times when I have a love hate relationship with social media. And this is exactly why I have that relationship. Everything that is shared there is open for everyone to know. I believe that the author truly does use it to put a personal touch in his sales approach, but it just isn't my style I guess.

I also liked that the author reminds the reader just how important everyone is. He reminds the reader that the secretary to an individual is just as important as the individual you are trying to meet. And that people often forget that they may be the way for you to meet that individual you really want to meet. In essence he encourages the reader to treat everyone with respect.

What I Learned

With everything I read I learn something new. Sometimes that learning comes from reinforcing something I might have already known. And the thing I learned from this book is that every person is important. Relationships are a journey. And they don't come with road maps. You are never sure where those journeys will take you. The relationship you build with that individual sitting at the table next to you at an event might become the connection to your biggest sale of the year. Or they may be the person who introduces you to new opportunities and adventures in your life. The author encourages us not to miss the journey because we are afraid of what others might think of us. 

Who Should Read This Book

If you are looking for a new approach to bring success to your business than this book is for you. If you follow the authors plan of putting people first you will find positive results in your business. Anybody who knows how people operate knows this is true. But this book is also for those who are facing a little bit of stagnation in their life. He encourages you to go out and make new relationships. It doesn't matter if it is a person that you may only see once in your life, or if it is a person that becomes your new business partner. Everyone is important and you never know what these individuals may become in your life.

Overall, I liked this book. I liked how the author encouraged more positive interactions with individuals. I like that he encourages the reader to not limit ourselves, but to take a leap into new relationships. And well you never know where you will end up do you?


2 comments:

  1. I want to win this book because I need to learn more about increasing sales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great book,I blog and run a business and need to apply this to the way I manage.Great tips. Thanks Maria

    ReplyDelete