Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Kings Or Pawns

I was fortunate enough to receive a copy of Kings or Pawns by J.J. Sherwood in exchange for an honest review of the book. And here is what I think of this book.

The Story

This is the story of the elf city of Elvorium. Prince Hairem has taken over a city that is corrupt. And his desire is to end the corruption of the council that runs the city. It's a big undertaking. The city is at war, and he doesn't have an heir. What should he do? He decides perhaps he needs to marry, but as you read the book you will wonder if that was such a good idea.

What I Liked and Disliked

First this is a well written and crafted story. The city of Elvorium is full of characters who have only their best interests at heart. As I read the book I thought to myself that the politics of Elvorium aren't really that different than the politics of the world we live in today. Politicians whether they be humans or elves really don't seem to do things for the people they are meant to serve. They often will do whatever they can to stay in power. And in that world it is difficult to find individuals to trust. 

I liked that this book focuses in on the world of the elves. I've always thought that they are some of the more interesting creatures of the fantasy realm. It explores many sides of the elf world from its politics to its religion. 

My absolute favorite character in the book is Alvena. She is a mute, and she is a servant. But she is the person who knows exactly what is going on. Her character reminded me that in life the person who has the most knowledge about something is often the person we don't think knows anything.

As I've stated in reviews before, I don't like books that are part of a series. Someone once told me that the sign of a really good book is that the story is complete at the end of the book. And well these series books don't exactly do that. It doesn't mean that they aren't good. I just don't like having to read 3 books in order to know how the entire story unfolds. But after I completed this book I will definitely look at the second book in this series.

Who Should Read This Book

Fans of the fantasy genre will enjoy this book. It has intelligent characters and it is full of a few twists and turns. And it does explores what life in the world of elves may be like. 

Now that you've read a little bit about the book. Here's your chance to get a free copy of the book. Enter the giveaway below and I hope one of my readers is a lucky winner.


a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment