Saturday, January 30, 2016

Who Is They?

This week has been a week full of news. At work they have decided to reorganize the department I work in. Schedules need to be changed. And the way the system is set up, that means that jobs will be eliminated and then recreated. So anybody who has been in the workforce for any amount of time knows that there are a lot of unhappy people where I work. 

I have heard a lot of people saying they do this all the time. I have heard individuals say they don't know what they are doing. And I thought to myself, who is they? 

My experience has been that I often blame they when I don't want to take responsibility for a problem. And sometimes I blame they when I know that change is really needed. And often times I really have wanted someone to do something about the problem. 

But that change is often painful for some individuals. This week I have seen individuals who have worked for a company several years find out that they are going to have to face a change in their work lives. These individuals won't be unemployed. They will just need to do a different job than they have in the past. And my co-workers aren't happy about this. And that gets me back to my questions who is they?

I think that sometimes it is easier to be angry at a collection of people instead of placing the blame on a specific person. It is easier when a situation is out of our control to blame a concept instead of looking at the entire situation. It is easier to say to ourselves they are singling me out and they are wrong. Instead of saying someone is finally trying to solve some of the problems. And maybe they are doing the right thing and we just don't know it yet.

3 comments:

  1. I have a co-worker who always says "they." My boss loves to ask him who is they? It is kind of funny, since he never answers them.

    As to the reorg - change is always scary. One of our locations is moving to a brand new building this month. The current facility is a dump and you should see how "they" are fighting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes who are they indeed, we o often refer to them but who they are is a mystery at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a difficult time. Stay strong.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete