Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Ethical Coach Leader

Doping scandals are constantly rocking the sports world. Recently, Maria Sharapova was found with melodonium in her bloodstream. A drug that was recently banned that increases performance. How should the sports world deal with the problem of drugging? Nobody seems to know the answer. But I recently read the book The Ethical Coach Leader by Dwight Johnson that addresses the issue of ethics in the sports world.

The Story

In this book the author has used his creativity to lay out a plan to address the issue of ethics in the sports world. He has used a parable to tell the story of a young man who has tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in his system. This is the coach's worst nightmare. The star of his team is guilty. How does he deal with it? 

Like the character in A Christmas Carol, the coach is visited by ghosts who guide him through this experience. Each ghost points out a part of the possible solution. And the coach finds himself implementing a plan that will change his team and the way that he coaches. It also finds the coach taking a hard look at the way he lives.

What I Think Of The Book

When I received this book I was unsure if I wanted to read it. I thought to myself, this is going to be another book that somehow manages to justify the bad behavior of athletes. As I read the book, I was pleased to find that this book isn't about that. This book is about using the creativity of the coaches and athletes to solve serious ethical issues in the sports world. And the author points out that if these issues aren't addressed they do have implications for the rest of society. 

And he points out that his plan does not just address the sports world. This is a plan that addresses issues in throughout our culture. I like that he points out that leaders must lead by example. They have to be willing to examine their own lives on a regular basis. Leaders have to be willing to make good choices in their life.

He also points out that when individuals make an error in their lives the punishment needs to fit the individual and the error. That's a lesson that our criminal justice system really needs to take a look at I think. 

The one thing I didn't like about this book was minor or maybe not minor. I can't decide. When the young man who is caught drugging himself in the book, he is asked who provided him with the drugs. He refuses to provide the name of the person who provided it to him. But nothing happens when he refuses to give up that name. At least I couldn't see any part of the consequences that revolved around it. I wondered if we are encouraging a culture of silence. I don't know how that problem would be addressed. But I do believe it is a problem.

 Who Should Read This Book

Well the first group of individuals who could benefit from this book is coaches. This book does show a way to solve some of the issues that are big issues in the sports world right now. 

The next group of individuals who should read this book is leaders. It doesn't matter if you are leading a company or just a Sunday School class this is a book that could be beneficial. It lays out a plan that encourages leaders to develop individuals who believe that doing the right things is how things should be in life. It lays out a plan that show individuals how to teach others to lead an ethical life. 

And then individuals who are interested in becoming better individuals in life will probably enjoy this book.While it is primarily a book for leaders, the author points out that it is individuals who create an ethical world. And for me that is what is really important.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by this book, and I recommend it to individuals who are looking to solve problems in an organization.

See What The Author Says About This Book




Learn more about Dwight Johnson
Website
Twitter
Facebook

Bonus

You can win one of 5 copies of this book by just entering the giveaway below.





a Rafflecopter giveaway

Disclaimer: I did receive a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. But honestly, these are my opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment