Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The Five Truths About Work-Life Balance

Last year at this time I was craving balance in my life. I was spending so much time working, and I had to let things go in my personal life to survive. I would have loved the chance to read the book The Five Truths About Work-Life Balance then.

The Book

In this book the author, Jae Ellard, presents what she sees as the five truths about work life balance. This book is honest, and really easy to read. You can sit down and read it in an hour. She doesn't use the typical method of writing a book to present her ideas. Her ideas are easy to understand. While the subject is for adults the lay out of the book reminded me of a children's book. It is a good combination. Because she has stepped outside the box the book made me think a little bit more. 

What I Liked and Learned

I like that this book steps outside the box. In order to make her point the author used a different way to present the information. So it made me think a little bit more about what she had to say. Her truths are simple, and she presents them point by point. 

Two things in particular stand out in my mind after reading this book. 

Her truth that Work Life Balance has nothing to do with work. The statement itself I disagree with, but I did learn that I do nee to take responsibility for the conversations I am not having in my work life. I need to be honest with my employers about what I want. That wasn't easy to admit. Many things about working are out of my control. But I can be honest and take control of the things that I can take control of. 

The book reminded me that I need to have the same attitude toward my job that I have in my personal life. Each day is a new day and I can choose to make connections. Yes, there will be times when maintaining some balance is more hectic. But part of finding that balance is up to me.

Who Should Read This Book

Anyone who is struggling with the demands that are being put on them with their job and personal life. This book will encourage you to look at the situation a little differently. And I do believe that bosses might enjoy this book. It doesn't place the blame for problems on the employer. So they won't feel like it is their fault. But it will encourage them to have open conversations with their employees about what both of them expect.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Heidi, for taking the time to read and share your thoughts on The Five Truths About Work-Life Balance! I appreciate it.

    Cheers!
    Jae and the Simple Intentions team

    ReplyDelete