Friday, May 20, 2016

When I Was Nine

When I was nine, the world was a different place. When I was nine there was a war was winding down a long war in Vietnam. This was the image we saw in the newspaper.
And yes, newspapers were still important. There was no Fox news. You read the newspaper and watched the evening news a half hour each night.

Back when I was nine, my friends were talking about seeing the movie Jaws. My parents weren't movie goers. And since it had one of those PG ratings I was not going to be able to go see it with friends. Honestly, I was a little relieved at the time. It sounded like a really scary movie. To this day I still haven't seen the movie Jaws.


When I was nine, there was a group called the IRA bombing places all over the United Kingdom. I remember thinking the IRA was a bad thing. I was really surprised and a little confused a few years later when IRA became a good thing. It became the shortened term for Individual Retirement Accounts. 

A man named Jimmy Hoffa disappeared when I was nine. And there was a lot of hoopla over the kidnapping of a girl named Patty Hearst. People disappear every day, and well so do kidnappings. Since I was nine I've come to the conclusion you get a lot more press if you are rich and white when you disappear.

When I was nine there was a commercial on television about the Alaskan Pipeline.  It was supposed to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. Well, I guess it didn't do everything it was supposed to do did it?

Back when I was nine Mr. Potato Head still smoked a pipe. Nobody would dare produce a smoking children's toy now.

Now that I think about it, some of life is much different than when I was nine. But then again much of life is pretty much the same as it was then.

Read Something Else



1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed memories, which are very similar to mine. I have chosen your post as one of my featured faves from last week's Thursday Favorite Things. I will be featuring you in my Thursday post!

    Shellie
    www.thefabjourney.com

    ReplyDelete