Sunday, October 23, 2016

I Felt Kind of Wasteful

I recently watched the documentary Dakar From Junk To Art. If you haven't seen it, it's about the recycling industry in Senegal. It's a thriving business. The local artisans take cans, wrappers, and other items that are commonly thrown away. They take these items and create beautiful and useful items.

As I watched this video I immediately felt incredibly wasteful. Yes, I recycle. I take my aluminum cans in to the recycling site. I reuse glass bottles. But what happens to those items when I take them to that recycling center? To tell you the truth I really don't know. I imagine some of it re-sold. But what happens from there I don't know. Do they go to mysterious plans that melt them down? I don't know. But as I watched this film, I told myself I need to be more creative with the items I buy and what I do with them.

So where do I begin? First, it's something that I do on and off. It's the compost bin. I really need to commit myself to taking items out there. It can reduce the amount of trash I have drastically. And it fits in so well with my love of gardening.

But what is the next step? I often find myself using paper plates to mix paper plates to mix paint on. I need to stop this. I can use those boxes that so much food comes in for that.

So I've come up with a couple of ideas to reduce the amount of waste I create. What ideas do you have to creatively use some of that trash I create?




1 comment: