Monday, December 26, 2016

I Just Gotta Get Out Of Here

We all have a fight or flight response. But some of us are a little more comfortable with one or the other. Personally, I am kind of a flight person. Yes, I do love to avoid a problem. And I was reminded of this the other night.

This is what happened. I was at work. Yes, so many of these incidents seem to happen at work. And a supervisor told me to do something. And I knew that the supervisor was trying to work their way around the rules of what is allowed. She wanted to violate the union's contract. And the worst part of it was she knew what she was doing.

I thought to myself you little conniver. And I knew that if I refused there would be trouble. I would be insubordinate. So, I decided to do what the union instructs us to do in these situations. Follow the instructions and then go to the union.

But as I was doing this, I thought to myself. I'm going to get out of here. And I came to understand that my response is not to fight, but it is to flee.

The situation has resolved itself. And everything is okay, but I still don't want to have to deal with it.

How do you handle situations that involve conflict? Do you fight or do you flee?

No comments:

Post a Comment