Friday, December 9, 2016

Lab Grown Or Natural?

I was listening to the news the other day, and there was a story that caught my attention. It was all about lab grown diamonds. I had mixed feelings when I listened to the story.

The First Reaction

Yes, the price of diamonds is going to make those big stones much more affordable. I'll be able to get a diamond necklace, bracelet, and ear rings. I could afford some of those pieces of jewelry I always dreamt about. If I were to buy diamonds, I wouldn't have to worry if they were mined by a child in a war zone. I wouldn't have to worry if the money I spent was funding a war. A huge ethical problem is solved in that situation.

My Second Reaction

Then the diamond expert in the report stated that he could tell the difference between natural and grown diamonds. He stated they are much better now, but when they first came out they had a slight yellowish tint about them. It made me think. Is something that took thousands of years to create really reproducible? Can we actually reproduce that true beauty?

The Answer

While it may be possible for me to afford that jewelry now, I think that I would rather have the real thing. I mean isn't that what makes diamonds so valuable? The fact that they are truly difficult to find? So to me the natural is much better.


No comments:

Post a Comment