Friday, December 30, 2016

The Settlers of Catan

I recently read the book The Settlers of Catan by Rebecca Gable. The book isn't new, but I wanted to share my thoughts about it with everyone.

The Book

First this book is based on a board game. I wondered how that would work. I have never played the game, but it sounded interesting. The story follows a group of individuals who leave their homeland where they are facing difficulties due to raiders and weather. Their journey is a gamble. And they face huge struggles as they travel to the new land.

They find that when hey arrive in their new home that there are things that they wish to change about their culture. But the community is divided in how it wants to develop.

What I Think

I really enjoyed reading this book. The story kept me involved throughout the entire book. It was a little long, but I really like how it showed how cultures develop. I really like how each character in the book mirrors so many of the individuals we see in the world around us. The book reminded of the series by Auel. And then it reminded me of the show Survivor.

Who Should Read This Book

If you are a fan of the game, you will probably enjoy this book. If you enjoy historical fiction, you will probably enjoy this book. As I stated earlier in the review the book did remind of the Earth Children series by Auel. There is exploration in this book like the one in that series. And it is also the story of a culture evolving into something different.

All of the opinions expressed in this post are mine, and I did not receive any form of compensation for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment