Sunday, January 8, 2017

You Are Here Notebook

A couple of weeks ago, I found a three ring binder at a thrift store. And one of my goals for the month is to organize my clippings. I decided to personalize it just a little. You can check it out on my Thrifty Finds Week Three post.

I decided that I would coat the notebook with gesso. I thought that would give me a good background to start out with. It's always good to prep your items. Then I covered the notebook in pink paint. I really wanted a pink notebook. And I wasn't sure how paint would work on vinyl.

Then I decided that I have a silk screen print saying You Are Here. I decided that this would be really appropriate for this binder. So I attached the template to the notebook.
I used the squeegee and spread the ink on the notebook. It is difficult to see in the picture, but the ink has glitter in it. I loved it.

Then I removed the stencil.
I had a craft fail on my hands. What do you do now? Start from scratch or repair or toss it out? It's a big question. I decided that I would try to repair it. I decided to pull out the silver paint pen.
I thought to myself that I could try to add more pink paint, but I decided against it. While I looked at the finished product, I thought to myself. The binder didn't turn out the way I wanted it to, but it reminds me that right now I am here. That isn't where I will be in the future. I will use the screen printing process again. But I'll have to learn more about how to paint on vinyl successfully.

Have you had any craft fails recently?










No comments:

Post a Comment