Sunday, March 5, 2017

Dear Emmeline Pankhurst

Dear Emmeline Pankhurst:

I am writing to you today, because I have a very important question to ask you. But first let's talk about a few things that are going on in my life.



I woke up the other day at my mother's home. She currently lives in an apartment. She was watching the news. And from nowhere she asked me if I voted in the last election. I thought it was a weird question. Why wouldn't I have voted? I just took it for granted that all women voted.

But then I thought, there was a time when women couldn't vote. I mean March is Women's History month after all.

I mean when you were alive. Women couldn't vote. I can never figure out why anyone would want to leave out half of the population in an election. But it is a different world than the one you lived in.

I wonder what you would think of the world today. I mean women are involved in all professions now. A woman even ran for president of the United States and she almost won. It was close. But that will have to happen in another election.

I guess you had a laugh at those fellows at that left leaning Independent Labour Party. I wonder if they regretted the decision to not allow you to become a member after they saw all the things that a woman like you accomplished? I mean really, what were those men thinking? If you could push through women being allowed to vote, what could you have done for them?

So my question for you today, is do you agree with Mrs. Banks line in the song Sister Suffragette from the movie Mary Poppins We adore men individually, but as a group that are rather stupid?

No comments:

Post a Comment