Saturday, March 4, 2017

The Casual Vacancy

There is this author who put out a series of books about a boy called Harry Potter. Pretty much everybody read the series. It was a big hit, but then the story ended. And then everyone wondered where the author would go from there. Her next book was The Casual Vacancy. And the author is J.K. Rowling. The book has been out a couple of years, but I finally got around to reading it. And well this is what I think of that book.

The Story

Barry Fairbrother is an all around good guy. Everyone loves him. And then he drops dead on day. The little village of Pagford has a vacancy on it's town council. The town is full of individuals who want the vacancy. But the vacancy shows just how many secrets a little town can have. And sometimes those secrets can be quite dangerous.

What I Think

I really liked this book. The characters in the book all seemed like people I knew in real life. Somehow, she seemed to write about everyone I knew. That's not easy to do. There were individuals I liked in Pagford, and there were individuals I couldn't stand. But my absolute favorite character in the book is Crystal. She's poor, she's strong, and she is tired of being stuck. And she is stuck in a world that isn't that pretty. The town has her pegged as going nowhere, but Mr. Fairbrother, saw that Crystal could do a lot more in life. I like that this book was realistic. It doesn't really have a happy ending.

But Rowling shows that it often takes tragedies in life for the world to wake up and see that change does need to happen.

Who Will Enjoy This Book?

If you are looking for a series like Harry Potter, this probably isn't going to be for you. There is no magic, there is pure reality. But it does have teenagers who are facing very real problems in life. It is well written. And you will develop a love hate relationship with some of the characters.


No comments:

Post a Comment