Tuesday, March 7, 2017

This One Time At Band Camp

When I was in school, I was a band geek. I played the trumpet. I was an okay player. I was better than some, and definitely not bound for becoming a professional player. But I had a lot of fun. I liked my friends in band. I enjoyed going to band camp. I enjoyed the music we played. It all made sense to me.

But then something changed. Well a couple things changed. The first thing was we moved. I mean we moved to another state. So those valued band friends weren't part of my daily life. I was thrown into a new situation.

I went to band class my first day at my new school. I expected that we would break out some sheets of music and start to play. That's not what happened.

They started talking about marching band. I thought to myself what is going on? Somehow I had to stay after school to practice marching. I groaned. But I decided I needed to check it out.


After I school I went to the field where the practice took place. People were in a formation of some sort. And they were being encouraged to play as loud as possible. I groaned again. This was not what I anticipated. I wanted to play my instrument. This was walking around in circles. In essence, I hated it! I began thinking how do I get out of this.

It was impossible for the year. So, I went to class day after day. I listened to the teacher talk about state. I heard talk about flags and uniforms. I practiced very little. It was a joke to me. Where was all of the fun I had in band class before? Why was everything about winning? I didn't understand this. It felt like a group of people without hands trying to fit into the sports world. It wasn't my cup of tea.

The time came for me to sign up for my classes the next year. I decided I wanted no part of this band class. I didn't sign up. And at that point I walked away from my desire to play an instrument. It just lost its appeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment