Wednesday, April 26, 2017

I Wish Bobby Kennedy Would Have Won

I was sitting at the doctor's office the other day, and a gentlemen told me something strange out of the blue. Sometimes people strike up conversations that just surprise you. You wonder why are they telling me this. The other day was one of the occasions.

You see this gentleman told me I wish Bobby Kennedy would have won the election. I have to admit the very first thought I had was, does this man suffer from Alzheimer's? I mean Bobby was a candidate for president in the last century. Then he said that things would be different if Bobby was elected.
He told me that the world would be a different place if he had won the election. I thought to myself you are probably right in a way.

I wonder how he would have handled the issues revolving around Vietnam. Would it have become such a mess or would he have figured out a way to deal with it more diplomatically? I thought it still would be a mess. Maybe some of it would have gone a little different, maybe that awful picture of the helicopter on the embassy wouldn't exist. But it still would have ended badly. It just would have been how badly.

I wonder if race relationships would be different. He mentioned the speech that Bobby gave in Indianapolis when Martin Luther King Jr. was killed. It brought some calm to a horrible event. So I thought to myself maybe this would be a little different. Maybe just maybe there wouldn't have been a Rodney King incident. I think that might be.

So we'll never know if Bobby would have won that election, but maybe the world would be a little different.

No comments:

Post a Comment