Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Do You Think All Mormons Wear Purple?

I was reading a book the other day, and there was this quote. "Do you think all Mormons wear purple because it's Donny Osmond's favorite color?" The quote made me chuckle. I'll tell you more about the book later on this month. But the this particular conversation is between two teenage girls. They are talking about things they think about.

I chuckled when I read this because I thought of a time when questions like these were the most important things in life. In one moment the question seemed fairly trivial. Who cares about such things? But at the same time I thought it was a brilliant question.

I thought about a time when I wasn't afraid to explore the world. I wasn't afraid that others would think that questions like this would make me look silly. I simply didn't care. I wanted to know more about the world.

I thought about a time when creative questions were the norm. I remember discussions with friends about why were chameleons used in so many song lyrics? I mean there was Karma Chameleon, and then there was that song with the lyrics that said See the chameleon lying there in the sun all things to everyone. Why were these two songs released in the same year? What was going on?

I never really got good answers to these questions, but I remember thinking about things more. Was it because I had more time? No, I don't think so. I think there was a fear that was developed. A fear of seeming trivial. What would people think of my thoughts?

Are these thoughts important? I think they were and they are. There are loads of posts, books, and speakers who tell us how to become more creative. But that creativity is in all of us. All we have to do is loose that fear of what will people think of my thoughts. Don't be afraid to ask those silly questions. Because those silly questions often make us explore the world, and find answers that push the envelope.

So my question to you today do you think all Mormons wear purple because it's Donny Osmond's favorite color?

No comments:

Post a Comment