Friday, June 30, 2017

Feed Your Eyes

Last winter I visited the eye doctor. I knew it was time for new eyeglasses. And I thought maybe just maybe I needed to have them checked for some other issues I thought my be facing me. I was surprised when she told me that there were some vitamins I needed to take in order to maintain good vision.

And of course she had a list of foods that I needed to eat. Now we've all heard that carrots are good for your eyes, but there are a few other foods that need to be added to the list of superfoods for the eyes.

Nuts

Studies have shown that eating one to two servings of nuts per week can reduced the risk of age related macular degeneration, which is the leading cause of blindness in people over the age of 60, by 35%. So sometimes it's good to feel like a nut.

Fish

Yes, we can add another reason to eat more fish. Studies have also shown that one serving of fish a week can reduce the chance of getting AMD by 31 percent. It's  believed that those fatty acids reduce the inflammation in blood vessels of the eye.

Spinach

Have you ever noticed that Popeye didn't wear eyeglasses. There may be a reason for that. Spinach, like carrots is full of carotenoids.

Eggs



And last, but not least eggs contain that wonderful eye food, Lutein. According to my eye doctor lutein helps maintain the pigment in your eyes. Which is something I really want.





No comments:

Post a Comment